Feb 21, 2007

Are consumers' right well protected?

Nowadays you can see "Terms & Conditions" almost everywhere. I believe its existence is to protect both the retailers and the consumers. However, I kind of doubted that after an unsatisfactory experience with one of the online mobile phone contracting company. There was an ambiguity in the contract and I was not able to fight against them as they were not wrong technically. And they insisted that I agreed to the T&C. What a nice thing about playing the "T&C" card! Have you ever read over T&C thorough? Have you ever contacted the retailers about ambiguity regarding their T&C? I guess most people did not bother to read T&C carefully most of the time. If such is the case, how is T&C going to protect consumers' rights especially when there are unfair & ambiguous statements? Shouldn't there be a regulation against unfair and ambiguous T&C? Unfortunately, I don't think there is such thing at the moment. Of course, you can choose not to agree T&C and buy it off from another retailer. What if you have no choice other than to agree the T&C? What then? I honestly don't know.

No comments: